"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

9.18.2009

this & that: drowning in the crazy edition

Those of you not in los Estados Unidos are surely aware by now that we are having a very nasty debate over health care that has in many ways degenerated into a screaming match between a bunch of right-wing nutjobs and the other side. (Who knew health care would be the issue that made the Democrats look like the grown-ups in the debate?) Anyway, it's all very hostile and the undertones of racism among the part of some (I said SOME.) of those who oppose all health care reform and anything else Obama tries to do are increasingly evident. Here's the results of my semi-obsessive following of this issue since the weekend:

3 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

I do wonder how many of Beck's kookiest followers know that he's a Mormon considering that I'm sure a number of the teapartier-types believe Mormonism to be a cult...

Friday, September 18, 2009 10:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Alexis said...

another point about racism- no one ever called George W. a "thug". That particular derogatory term has been applied only to the BLACK president.

Friday, September 18, 2009 10:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Charlie Mac said...

I'm surely a wacko. I was opposed to government stepping into health care way back in 1965 when Medicare/Medicaid was instituted. I was opposed to adding RX coverage in 1988 when it was instituted.

Even an uneducated, by some standards (no degree), mechanic who fixed computers, from west Texas knew the government would run the programs at a loss for obvious reasons.

Now along comes conservative radio
talk shows and millions of us are blindly led to think like we have always thought? Government is best when kept as small as possible because government is terrible at most everyday things.

I remember almost losing an ear to a shaking straight razor when I remarked to a barber that I did not know why everyone was putting down on Billy Sol Estes because he was running his business just like JFK was running the country.

FYI: Billy Sol was buying, selling and financing fertilizer tanks which did not exist.

Of course that was before AIDS stopped barbers from using straight razors. Heck it was even before Rush, Beck, Hannity, etc came along to tell me how to think.

Now JFK would be considered ultra conservative. Man, I was way ahead of the times. Lord, I must be really old too?

Your efriend,
Mac

Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:50:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home