this & that
- Maybe Jacob Zuma's machine gun is actually a magic wand. That's the only way he could possibly uphold his new promise to create half a million jobs within the year and another four million jobs within five years. Either that, or South Africa's economy is about to expand a lot.
- Here's why I don't accept student work via email. (HT: Euphrony)
- The New York Times has a new "West Africa" correspondent. (The Times' definition of "West Africa" moves well into central Africa.) Given how bad/not-properly-fact-checked most of the paper's coverage of Africa is, maybe giving the beat to someone with experience in New Orleans isn't a terrible idea. (HT: @scarlettlion)
- Speaking of awesome photographer Glenna Gordon, her pictures of the Miss Liberia pageant are up. And they are spectacular.
- Former Liberian President Charles Taylor apparently found God in The Hague. And God is Jewish.
- At last!
- Are Somali pirates losing their base of support?
- Bill Easterly has a nice chart summarizing the latest round of spiteful rhetoric interspersed with legitimate points in the ongoing battle royal between himself and Jeff Sachs.