this & that: jet-lagged edition
I'll post something substantive soon.
- A South African man asks forgiveness from the woman he raped.
- Twitter creator never intended for it to be useful (The Onion)
- Nothing says, "I worship the Prince of Peace" like packing heat for church.
- Glenna Gordon (aka Scarlett Lion) has a fantastic interview with the first openly HIV+ man in Liberia.
- Here's a fascinating piece on an innovative child survival program in Tanzania. The goal is not to put the children whose mothers died in childbirth up for adoption, but rather to see them safely and healthily through infancy, then to return them to their extended families and villages for care. They are cared for at the orphanage by a teenage relative who learns how to look after a child. This is the right way to do development - it involves communities, is headed by someone with long-term experience in the region and a knowledge of the local culture, and - most importantly - is sustainable.
- Piracy affects Tuvalu. This is a heartbreaking story.