"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.05.2009

somebody's gotta do it

Well, here's what I can say at the end of week one of interviewing people about piracy off the coast of Somalia: academic research on pirates is pretty much the most fun academic thing I've ever done. It's also confirmation of the fact that I am absolutely in the right field and profession. Today I went up to Oxford to visit The Peacekeeper (who is now in fact a doctoral student) and realized about halfway down Broad Street that we'd just had a completely animated and fascinating conversation about rational actors and the pirates' business model before moving on to talk about her research on peace building.

Nerd, thy name is Africanist.

If I told you all the fun things I'm learning about pirates, there wouldn't be much data left for our article, so you'll just have to wait. In the meantime, here's an interesting piece from the BBC on how pirate attacks and negotiations proceed that should give you the idea.

3 Comments:

Blogger dcat said...

TiA --
Just tried to send you an email about a recent Matthew Yglesias post then realized I do not have your email address. You might want to check out his blog, (which I usually like, btw) or contact me at derekcatsam at hotmail dot com.

Best --
dc (of the FPA Africa Blog)

Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:27:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks, Derek. Just FYI, my email address is over in the "about me" section.

Saturday, June 06, 2009 2:47:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read the article.
Travel safely.
-CPP

Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:04:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home