"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

1.23.2009

the least wonderful time of the year

My course evaluations from the fall semester just arrived. It's always interesting to read what the students had to say, even though I don't put too much stock in evaluations. There's pretty good evidence that evaluation scores correlate very strongly with grades. If a student expects to get an A, she'll give you high marks. Conversely, if a student is failing and knows it, there will be long rants about the UNFAIR GRADING in this course and the cOMPlETELY unREASONABLE PROfeSSOR.

You learn to not worry about it too much.

Anyway, my evaluations from the fall were fine. And I think this may be the highest praise I've ever received:

"...Even better is that I still don't know her political affiliation and that is talent."

It was, of course, followed in the stack by one that said, "This course was well tought."

Sigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

As silly as it is, I take pride in the same thing. Last semester a group of students asked what I believed about political issues since I never said in class.

I figured that meant either 1) I did a good job of being on both sides, or 2) they were too dumb to know the difference between the sides. I like to think it was the first.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:49:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh, it's definitely the first option!

My favorite is when two students say directly contradictory things. I learned that I was never on track with the syllabus, which made it hard to study AND that I always stuck right with the syllabus, which made studying a lot easier. We can't win, can we? :)

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:40:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home